In this section, we'll introduce Venice and two nearby suburbs where many visitors stay. Please see:
This page has a captioned aerial photo of Venice and the Venetian Lagoon to help you get your bearings.
If you're viewing our site on a computer or tablet, you may prefer our larger-image version.
The mainland district of Mestre is convenient if:
- You're arriving by car, or...
- You want to save money on a hotel, or...
- You're arriving or departing on an intercity express train that stops only at Venezia Mestre railroad station.
From Mestre, frequent trains (including commuter trains) reach Venice's main railroad station, Venezia Santa Lucia, in 10 to 12 minutes.
The Lido is a resort island and dormitory suburb across the Lagoon from Venice's San Marco waterfront. Stay here if:
- You want to combine city sightseeing with sunbathing on the beach during summer, or...
- You want to save money on a hotel at any time of year.
From the Lido's main vaporetto station, water buses serve Venice's historic center and Venice Marco Polo Airport.