In Venice, you'll need to roll your own.
Venice is a walking city, so it pays to travel light. Consider:
- The city has more than 400 footbridges, nearly all with steps.
- Public transportation is expensive (and crowded much of the year).
- Even if you can afford a private water taxi, you may need to walk from the boat landing to your hotel.
- Pack light, and you'll be less frustrated.
If you can't travel light, your next best option is to park your larger bags and take only a small carry-on suitcase or backpack to your hotel.
The Cooperativa Trasbagagli Venezia has baggage storage or left-luggage offices at:
- Piazzale Roma, near the People Mover station facing the square. (Open daily 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. Price: €7,-- per bag for each 24 hours after checking.)
- Venice Marco Polo Airport, in the arrivals hall near the post office. (Open daily 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Price: €6,-- per bag for each 24 hours after checking.)
You'll also find deposito bagagli offices in:
- Venezia Santa Lucia (near Track 1) and Venezia Mestre railroad stations.
- Cruise terminals 103, 117, and Isonzo 1-2 at the Marittima ship basin during embarkation and disembarkation hours. (See the port's Passenger Services page.)
Two independent luggage-deposit services also deserve your attention:
- "Keep Calm Point," just to the left of Venice's Santa Lucia Railroad Station. (Show this page on your smartphone or tablet for a discount.)
- Venice Luggage Deposit is in the Calle Larga Malvasia, across from the Hotel Canaletto between the Rialto Bridge and the Piazza San Marco. (Show this page on your smartphone or tablet for a discount.)
Public luggage porters are sometimes available around the Piazza San Marco, Piazzale Roma, the Santa Lucia railroad station, and a handful of other locations in Venice.
Rates are extremely high, and you can't count on finding a porter when you need one, so we'd suggest using one of the deposito bagagli offices if you have more luggage than you can carry.
If you must use a porter, your safest option is to arrange one through your hotel.