A taxi acqueo is convenient, fun,
There are two big differences between Venetian water taxis and taxicabs
- Taxi acquei are more fun than
four-wheeled cabs, and...
- They're dreadfully high-priced.
- A standard water taxi can carry eight
to 10 people (each with a suitcase), although some boats are slightly
- You can book ahead (see Consorzio
Motoscafi link below) or hire a boat at the airport or one of the 14 water taxi stands
around the city.
- Disabled passengers are entitled to a
20% discount on fares.
- Tipping is not required.
- At some locations, getting on and off a water taxi can require a
long step (possibly up or down, depending on the tide).
- You'll need to hand your luggage to the driver from shore and
reverse the process on arrival unless you're being helped by a hotel
- Many hotels don't have water entrances, and many aren't near
In-depth information at Venice for Visitors: