See Venice by chauffered rowboat.
Can you enjoy a trip to Venice without hiring a
gondola? Of course. But if a private boat ride is on your bucket list, read
our tips before hitting the water:
Bring plenty of cash.
- The official daytime gondola rate
is €80 for a 40-minute ride, plus €40 for each additional 20 minutes.
- From 7 p.m. to 8 a.m., the official rate goes
up to €100 for the first 40 minutes plus €50 for each additional 20 minutes.
- Gondolas accomodate up to six people, so you can reduce the cost per person
by sharing a ride with family or friends.
Pick the right location.
- You can ride gondolas in St. Mark's Basin (near the Piazza San Marco), at
various points along the Grand Canal, or in the quiet side canals of Venice.
- We prefer the quiet side canals, which offer a smoother, more
peaceful ride with constantly-changing views.
Book a ride on the spot.
- As you walk around Venice, you'll pass many gondola stations, and you'll
often encounter gondoliers who politely inquire "Gondola?" as you walk by.
- Simply indicate your interest and confirm or negotiate a rate.
gondolier may try to deviate from the official rate, so make sure you've
agreed on the price and length of the ride before you board the boat.)
Don't expect a singing gondolier.
In-depth articles at Venice for Visitors: